The [former] Ebenezer Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Town Walls, Shrewsbury
This chapel, designed by Fallows and Hart of Birmingham, was opened on 13 June 1834 for a congregation formed in the previous year. It cost £1500, and accommodated 450 people. There was a vestry, school rooms etc. underneath the chapel. On Census Sunday 30 March 1851 there were 144 worshippers at their morning service and 212 at their evening service. In addition there were 68 Sunday scholars in the morning and 30 in the evening. The chapel was sold by the Methodist Church in 1938 to the Christian Science Society and in the early 1980s was bought by the Shrewsbury High School for Girls who continue to occupy the premises. The exterior remains unchanged except for the removal of the stained glass from the windows. The interior, which until the 1980s retained its original pews and internal layout (consisting of two rows of pews in the middle and a row on each of the sides gradually ascending from the floor), has been totally altered and another floor inserted.
Grid ref: SJ 489122