The [former] Wesleyan Reformers Chapel, Beacalls Lane, Castle Fields, Shrewsbury
A congregation of Wesleyan Reformers was established in Shrewsbury in 1850, and held its first meeting on 1st December of that year. They met in an upper room in the Linen Manufactory in Severn Street, Castle Fields. Full details of the split with the Wesleyan movement appears in the Shrewsbury Chronicle of 17 October 1851, on page 5. On Census Sunday 1851 they had 53 worshippers at their morning service and 100 at their evening one. There were also 30 Sunday School children meeting in the morning. In 1853 a polychrome brick chapel was built nearby on the corner of Beacalls Lane and Albert Street. The foundation stone was laid on the 26th April 1853, & underneath the stone was placed a bottle containing a plan of the building and an account of the proceedings connected with the chapel's establishment. The round commemorative stone in the pediment contains an inscription "Methodist Free Church 1853". By 1861 (& probably in 1857 when the Reformers joined with the Wesleyan Methodist Association) they were part of the United Methodist Free Church. In 1879 there was still a debt of £130 on the chapel which was not cleared until 1887. During the early part of the 20th century the congregation declined in numbers, and by the late 1930s the chapel had closed. The building was sold in 1940, and the remaining members joined the Castle Fields Methodist Church. The chapel has been converted to residential use in recent years.
Grid ref: SJ 496131