The house in Fish Street, Shrewsbury, where John Wesley first preached in the town in 1761
The Wesleyan Methodists established a small congregation in Shrewsbury in 1744, and in 1754 John Appleton licensed his own house in Roushill for their use. The Shearmen's Hall in Milk Street was used by the Wesleyans from 1762 until their first purpose-built chapel was erected in Hills Lane in 1781. This remained their meeting place until a new chapel was built on St.John's Hill in 1805. This latter building was replaced by a new chapel in 1879 q.v.
For a view of the commemorative plaque situated just to the right of the front door of the house, click here,
Grid ref: SJ492124