[former] Independent Chapel, Swan Hill, Shrewsbury
An Independent Church is known to have existed in Shrewsbury in the 1660s. Its meeting place during the latter part of the 17th century was a room in the King's Head Shutt in the High Street. This remained their meeting place until 1741 when they amalgamated with the Presbyterians in the High Street. Following a split in this joint congregation, the Independents re-established themselved in 1766 and built this chapel in 1767. In 1851 it had seating for 500 worshippers. On Census Sunday 30 March 1851 there were 202 worshippers at their morning service and 175 at their evening one. In addition there were 38 children at the Sunday School in the morning. This remained their chapel until 1867, when it was demolished and a new chapel built on the same site.