[former] Primitive Methodist Chapel, Castle Court, Castle Street, Shrewsbury
A congregation of Primitive Methodists was established in the town in 1822 and met in temporary accommodation until they bought the former Sandemanian Chapel in Castle Court, Castle Street, for £850, where their first service was held on 4th June 1826. In the 1851 Religious Census there were reported to be sittings for 300 worshippers; there were 146 worshippers at their morning service and 230 at their evening one, plus 50 Sunday scholars in the morning, in March of that year. In 1861 they were hoping to build a more "commodious sanctuary", but were still trying to pay off the debt on their present chapel. This chapel was replaced by the present building in 1863, whose cost was kept down to about £470 by using materials from the old building. Underneath the chapel were built two vestries and a schoolroom as well as other conveniences. The chapel's corner stone was laid on 29th June 1863 and the chapel opened on the 27th September following. The chapel continued in use until c. 1956 and the building was de-registered as a place of worship on the 4th January 1957. It was sold for £2,000 in 1957, and the congregation united with the Methodist Church on St.John's Hill. The building (in the picture) was used for commercial purposes for some time, but by 2017 had been converted into apartments.
Grid ref: SJ 493127