[former] Quaker Meeting House, St.John's Hill, Shrewsbury
Quakers began meeting in Shrewsbury in the 1650s and in 1670 purchased two houses and their gardens for a meeting house on St.John's Hill. A new meeting house was erected on the same site in 1742. Due to structural decay the building was replaced in 1807-9, when the congregation consisted of about 30 worshippers. This is the building in the photograph. The society ceased to exist in the 1850s when the attendance at their morning meeting was down to just two people. Tthe building was leased to a Baptist church in 1858, which occupied the building until 1872. It was subsequently used for council offices, then the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses and by 2004 it was being used as the parish hall for St. Chad's church nearby, which it still is in 2017.
Grid ref: SJ488124