The Unitarian [formerly Presbyterian] Chapel, High Street, Shrewsbury
The first Presbyterian chapel on this site was built in 1691 (and licensed at the county quarter sessions in October 1691), with, as its first two ministers, the Revds. Francis Tallents and John Bryan, who had been ejected from their livings at St.Mary's and St.Chad's respectively in 1662. This chapel was enlarged in 1703 and in 1715 was totally demolished by a Jacobite mob. The chapel was rebuilt by January of the following year at the expence of the government. This chapel was substantially renovated in 1839-40 under the guidance of John Carline, junr., when it lost part of its forecourt, and re-opened in July 1840. On Census Sunday 30 March 1851 there were 41 worshippers at their morning service and 79 at their evening one. In addition they had 42 children at their Sunday School in the morning, and 41 in the afternoon. There was seating for just over 200 worshippers. In 1885 the chapel was again renovated and the old front pulled down. It was given a new facade in line with the street, which was designed by A. B. Deakin of Shrewsbury. In so doing, they were able to build meeting rooms, etc., over what had been their forecourt. The building is still used by the Unitarian Church in 2020.
Grid ref: SJ 492124.
For two views of the interior, click here and here. and of the exterior inscription click here.