[former] United Methodist Free Church, Priorslee Road, Snedshill|
The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1850. It had sittings for about 300 worshippers. There were 143 at their morning service on Census Sunday in March 1851, and 256 at their evening service. In 1852 the congregation broke away to form a Wesleyan Reformers church. About 1860 they united with the United Methodist Free Church. In 1869 they built new schoolrooms, and in 1885 they celebrated the 25th anniversary of the union of the Wesleyan Reformers with the Wesleyan Methodist Association. In 1895 the chapel was damaged in a great storm but was repaired. In 1903 the chapel was renovated and reopened on the 19th July 1903. The chapel was rebuilt c. 1920. The congregation subsequently closed the chapel & then joined the Oakengates United Church in 1981.
Grid ref: SJ 705100