[former] Primitive Methodist Chapel, Stanwardine in the Fields
After preaching in the neighbourhood for about 40 years, this chapel was built in 1869 at a cost of about £150 on land given by Mr R. Parbott. The cornerstones were ceremonially laid on 14th May and the chapel opened on the 1st of August of that year. The original doorway was situated in the centre of the long wall facing the street, but a porch and new doorway were built later at the left-hand end. The datestone reads: "Primitive Methodist Chapel/Built A.D. 1869/Come in thou blessed of the Lord/Wherefore standest thou without". In 1911 it was described as a "comfortable village chapel built on the plan generally adopted in the early years of the church". The chapel was still in use in 2002 and in good condition, however it seems to have been redundant in 2005 and on the market in 2008 and subsequently given planning permission for conversion to a dwelling. Click here for a view of the chapel taken in the 1920s.
Grid ref: SJ 412245.