[former] Independent (Congregational) Chapel, Steel Heath
The chapel was built at the expense of Mr Edward Jones of Whitchurch. It was built in 1832, and the trust deed is dated 12 Nov. 1832. The chapel and school room was registered as a place of religious worship on 10th September 1832. The building was used as a school during the week & for services on a Sunday. By 1848 two services were being held there on a Sunday. In the 1851 Religious Census there were 35 worshippers at their afternoon service and 29 at their evening one, plus 28 Sunday scholars in the morning and 26 in the afternoon. Its subsequent history is not yet certain, but the chapel was still in use in 1941. There was a planning application to convert the chapel into a dwelling house in 1947, but this seems never to have been done. The building looks as if it is just used for storage.
Grid ref: SJ 543366