[former] Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Spring Gardens, Shrewsbury |
In 1826 a small plain brick chapel was built for the Wesleyan Methodists by the proprietor of the land. It was situated just to the NE of the flax mill and very near to the Sultan Inn, and opened on 26th February 1826. It contained about 80 free sittings and was also used as a Sunday School. In 1851 it was reported that the building had recently come into the hands of the Congregationalists. In March of that year, they had 48 worshippers at their afternoon service. The chapel's subsequent history is not yet known. The building is mentioned in a local newspaper in August 1865 but it is not named as a chapel on the 1880 Ordnance Survey 25" map.
Grid ref: SJ 499139