[former] Upper Hayton Primitive Methodist Chapel.
This chapel, built of stone with polychrome brick dressings, was erected in 1877, replacing an earlier chapel opened on 4th August 1838 on a different site. The hamlet had been missioned by the Primitive Methodist since 1822, but they could not obtain a site on which to build a chapel until a local preacher Mr Dolphin gave them the ground and Mr Breakwell gave the stone. By 2002 the chapel in the photograph was, sadly, totally derelict. Half the floor was missing, there was a large hole in the roof and there were trees growing out of the front step. A view of the interior shows just how much the building has deteriorated in the last 30 years.
Grid ref: SJ 518809