[former] Baptist Chapel, King Street, Wellington
A meeting place (owned & lived in by Robert Morris, a known Baptist) for Baptists was licensed in April 1730 for nonconformist worship. The meeting house, now known as Portway House, was built in "Chapel House Road" now known as Plough Road, in Wellington. This remained their meeting place until a new chapel was built. The Baptist Church (which until then had been ministered to by Shrewsbury Baptist ministers) in Wellington was formally formed in 1807 & a chapel in King Street was licensed at the county quarter sessions on 11th April 1809 by George Dean, Thomas Pinches, Maurice Ellis & James Jones. This chapel was rebuilt & enlarged, & opened on the 21 October 1829 and had seating for 340 worshippers. In 1851 it was described as "a neat brick structure ... a small burial ground adjoins the the chapel." On census Sunday in 1851 there was an attendance of 60 at the morning service and 100 at the evening service. The chapel was renovated and new schoolrooms were built in 1863 at a cost of between £400 and £500, of which all but £100 had been raised by the time the chapel reopened on 22nd November. The chapel was enlarged in 1897. This is the chapel in the photograph. The chapel closed in 1920 when the members joined with the Congregationalists on Constitution Hill to form the Union Free Church. The Baptist chapel was described as "derelict" in 1973.
Grid ref: SJ 651120