[former] Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, at the corner of New Street and St. John Street, Wellington
This chapel was built in 1835-6 & opened on 1st April 1836, as a "more commodious and more eligibly-situated chapel" was wanted. The site cost £200 and the building cost £1,300. It replaced the previous one in Chapel Lane which had been built in 1797 and which was sold in 1836 for £320 & taken down by 1851. In 1851 it had seating for 520 worshippers, and galleries on three sides, plus a small organ. On Census Sunday 30 March 1851 they had 277 worshippers at their morning service and 251 at their evening one. In addition they had 142 children at their Sunday School in the morning. In 1866 galleries were installed in the chapel, increasing the capacity to 560 worshippers. In its turn this new chapel was replaced in 1883 by another new chapel built farther west along New Street.q.v. The 1836 chapel was retained by the Wesleyan Methodists and used as a Sunday school and lecture hall until the building was sold in 1916.