Baptist Meeting House, Welshampton
A Baptist congregation was established in Welshampton in 1820, probably by James Fenn the former minister at Wem Baptist Church. A barn "in the holding of Edward & Charles Hughes, near Ellesmere", was registered as a nonconformist meeting place at the County Quarter Sessions in October 1822, & may relate to this congregation but it is not certain. However, the person who filled in the census form in 1851 was "William Hughes, deacon, farmer, of Welshampton near Ellesmere." In the 1851 Religious Census, when they were meeting in a separate building which they used exclusively, there were 10, 15 and 22 worshippers at their three services on census Sunday, plus 15 Sunday scholars in the morning. The last known reference to the congregation is in 1873. No Baptist chapel was marked on the Ordnance Survey 25" map of 1874.