[former] Primitive Methodist Chapel, Chapel Street, Wem
This was the second Primitive Methodist chapel opened in Wem. The first one "a small unpretending place" was opened in the High Street on the 21 December 1823, and James Bourne preached on that occasion. When it became too small for the growing membership, it was used for another purpose. A new chapel (in the photograph) was built in 1842. It was described in 1851 as a "neat structure" and had seating for about 200 worshippers. In the 1851 Religious Census it had an attendance of 60 in their afternoon service and 56 in the evening one. The chapel was registered for the solemnization of marriages on 3rd September 1890. This chapel remained their meeting place until 1926 when they moved to a new building in Aston Street, q.v. The chapel has been converted into three dwellings since 1926, but it is still possible to recognise it as a chapel by its upper windows.
Grid ref: SJ 513288