[former] Primitive Methodist Chapel, Weston Common, Weston Lullingfields
Primitive Methodist meetings began here c. 1826. Meetings were held at Joseph Lee's house for about 20 years until the increasing congregation meant that a chapel was needed. A small neat stone chapel was built (on a plan generally adopted in the early years of the church) at Weston Common in 1850 about 1 mile from Lee's house. In the 1851 Religious Census it was reported by the chapel steward, John Eyres of Weston, that there were 72 free sittings & 20 "other" ones. At their afternoon service there were 59 worshippers and 33 at their evening one, plus 92 Sunday scholars in the afternoon. The chapel was still in use in the early 20th century, but its certification as a place of worship was cancelled on 25th November 1946, according to the government's official publication "The London Gazette". The former chapel now forms part of a residential building and is totally unrecognisable as a former chapel.
Grid ref: SJ 423263