The [former] Baptist Chapel, Green End, Whitchurch
Baptists were meeting in the town as early as 1778, but a Baptist church was not officially formed until 1808. After meeting in a "small & very incommodious" place in Jarratts Yard, they bought a former malt kiln and fitted it up in a "very plain and neat manner" at a cost of £500, which opened in January 1814. Then a new chapel (with a burial ground at the back) in Green End was opened on 20th October 1824. It was described in 1851 as being set back a little from the road, with an interior "neatly pewed and provided with a gallery" and as being "respectably attended". In the 1851 Census it was reported to have seating for 350 worshippers, and had an attendance of 46 at their morning & 93 at their evening services, together with 58 and 64 Sunday scholars at the morning & afternoon services. The chapel was improved and enlarged during the following years, including erecting a grand new façade which extended the building, probably in 1889, as the Baptist Handbook of 1889 records that the schoolroom had been enlarged at a cost of £200 and it is known that there was a schoolroom above the new entrance lobby. The congregation gradually declined in the 20th century & the chapel closed in 1939. It was then used for various purposes & is now an antiques emporium.
For a view of the inscription above the doorway, click here.