Congregational Chapel (later URC), Dodington, Whitchurch
In 1798 a group seceding from the Presbyterian church, q.v., met in a small chapel on the site of the present building.The chapel was described at the time as a "neat place of worship" and was built and fitted up at the expense of a unknown lady, and was opened on the 18th February 1798. The chapel was subsequently enlarged and re-opened on 17th February 1813. This first chapel was replaced by the chapel in the photograph, at a cost of £2000 and opened on 15th April 1846. The chapel had seating for 600 worshippers. On Census Sunday 30 March 1851 there were 130 worshippers at their morning service and 184 at their evenng service. In addition there were 70 children at their Sunday School in the morning and 90 in the afternoon. The chapel was renovated in 1892. The congregation subsequently joined the United Reformed Church. The building was still in use until recently. It has now closed and an application for change of use was lodged (2008-9). To see a photograph of the chapel taken in the late 19th century, click here.