[former] Primitive Methodist Chapel, Castle Hill, Whitchurch
This former chapel was bought by the Masons in 1972 and became the "North Shropshire Masonic Rooms" which it still is (2016).
The chapel in the photograph was built in 1866, & was designed by Mr Denham of Wem and built by Messrs Powell of Prees. The foundation stone laying took place on Wednesday 13th June. Its opening services took place on the 16th & 23rd December 1866. The chapel measured 45 ft long & 33 ft wide and had a gallery, platform & 17 windows, and seating for 500 worshippers and was built at a cost of about £700-£800. The building was registered for the solemnization of marriages on 15th January 1870. The chapel in the photograph replaced a former chapel built by the Primitives who had only been formed into a society in Whitchurch in the spring of 1839, but the town had been missioned by the Primitive Methodists since the 1820s. This former chapel was built in 1840 and measured 30 ft by 25 ft. The chapel was certified as a place of worship in October 1840 by Thomas Bateman of Chorley, Wembury. Its opening services took place on 27th December 1840 and 3rd January 1841. In the 1851 census return it was described as having seating for 164 worshippers. On Census Sunday 30 March 1851 there were 99 worshippers at their afternoon service and 62 at their evening one. In addition there were 29 children at their Sunday School. When the debt on this original chapel was cleared they deided to build a new chapel (in the photograph). They bought a site for just over £309 adjoining their former chapel, which was sold for £150.
Grid ref: SJ 541415.
For a drawing of the chapel when first erected, click here.