Whittington Congregational Chapel
The first congregational chapel in Whittington was opened on the 8th September 1844, for a congregation formed four years previously. In 1851 it was described as "small", but had seating for about 170 worshippers. On Census Sunday 30 March 1851 there were 30 worshippers at their morning service and 18 at their evening one. c.1897 it was decided to build a new chapel on a different site, "more suited to modern requirements & in a better position", but not far from the existing building, for which this is the drawing. The chapel opened in February 1898. By 2004 this chapel had been demolished & in its place there is a pair of cottages [Lavender Cottage & Chapel Cottage] which have the chapel foundation stones dated 1897 inserted into their front walls.