[former] Whixall Congregational (United Reformed Church) Chapel
This chapel, designed by Thomas Huxley of Malpas, was erected in 1870 (date inscribed over the door), the foundation stone being laid on 7 June of that year. It held its first service on 2 January 1871. It has its own burial ground attached. There are gravestones built into the wall, dating from the 1820s and 1830s, indicating an earlier chapel. The chapel has now closed and a planning application made for a change to residential use, in November 2015. The building was de-registered as a place of religious worship in October 2016 and was up for sale in June 2017. The graveyard is not included in the sale, but is managed by a trust as burials are still taking place there. The small building set at right angles to the present chapel, and adjoining it at the rear is the earlier chapel opened on the 9th October 1805, q.v. For views of the interior, click here and here.
Grid ref: SJ 518348