Wollerton Congregational (now U.R.C.) Chapel
A small Independent chapel seating 120, with a manse, "situated on rising ground not far from the turnpike road from Hodnet to Market Drayton" was built 1800-1, and licensed at the county quarter sessions in July 1801. On Census Sunday 30 March 1851 there were 50 worshippers at their morning service and 35 at their evening one. In May 1866 it was decided to rebuild the chapel and manse. The memorial stone of the new chapel (in this photograph) was laid on 26 July 1867 by Thomas Barnes M.P., patron of Congregational chapels. The new polychrome brick chapel, built at a cost of £1,000 was opened on 7 April 1868. The building holds 200 hearers, and has a burial ground attached. The east end has a "wheel" window by Thomas Huxley of Malpas, the architect of the chapel. The chapel was still in use in 2016. The old chapel was partly re-used for building a schoolroom and partly for additions to the manse.
Grid ref: SJ 620304.