[former] Wrentnall Baptist / Primitive Methodist Chapel
[former] Wrentnall Baptist & later Primitive Methodist Chapel

There was preaching in Wrentnall from 1816 onwards at the house of a local man, Robert Wilkinson. This small stone-built chapel, designed by Mr Smith of Shrewsbury, was erected for this Baptist congregation in 1840 by local landowner James Freme of Wrentnall House. The chapel opened on Sunday the 13th of September 1840. The building was described at the time as "chaste and the nterior very neat." In 1851 the chapel had seating for 92 worshippers. On Census Sunday 30 March 1851 there were 22 worshippers at their afternoon service. The chapel closed c.1875 but was re-opened as a chapel by the Primitive Methodists in 1910 but closed in 1986. It has now been converted to residential use.
Grid ref: SJ 425038

All the photographs on this website are copyright and may not be reproduced without the permission of the copyright owner.

To return to the main page, click here