Tug o' War at the Village Fete c. 1949/50. This was held in the field between Barleymans and Wire Farm. The building behind the marquee is Premier Travel's bus shed (now Loveday Close)
This delightful photograph is full of period detail - note how all the boys are in short trousers and most have "long top" socks! (Photo lent by John Cane - The man with spectacles helping the boys is Frank Jupp, a manager at Drage & Kent. Click on the boys for their names)